Buying and replacing tablets for your nursery
Find the best tablets to buy when using iConnect in your nursery
Tablets are portable, lightweight and user friendly and when utilised properly they can help to make your nursery setting run more efficiently. There are more options than ever and tight budgets to consider so If you’re looking to buy or replace tablets, it’s important to do your research beforehand.
Tablet buying tips
Choosing the right Operating System
The iConnect app is designed to run on Android tablets and iPads only.
Supported Tablet Operating Systems
|Apple (iOS) iPads||Android Tablets||Chrome OS||Amazon Fire OS||Windows|
iConnect can be accessed through your web browser using the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. However, versions of the various browser apps via the unsupported operating systems shown above are also unsupported. This means our support team will still help you, but we will not develop iConnect to work on a Chrome OS, Amazon Fire OS or Windows tablet or any smartphone device.
Always buy a tablet with the latest operating system
As operating systems continue to evolve, older operating systems become obsolete and users need to upgrade those systems. Many tablets support these software upgrades but over time, all tablets get so old they can no longer be upgraded.
We support Operating System versions that are currently supported by the publishers, Google or Apple. You will find these listed in the table below. As new operating system versions are released by the publishers we will periodically end support of older operating systems.
As you can see, the pace of change is fast – so we recommend replacing tablets every three years to keep up with security features, memory size and speed needed to run all apps effectively.
Keep security in mind
As internet security protocols continue to evolve, running unsupported operating systems causes security risks. Apple and Android only support their latest 3 operating systems so when security issues are found they only release patches for supported versions, leaving devices with old operating systems vulnerable to hackers.
You hold sensitive data and security should be of the utmost importance. Using out of date operating systems should be a temporary measure and operating systems should be upgraded at the earliest possible opportunity.
We do not support any jailbroken or rooted device with our software running on it. Jailbroken devices give users additional control over the devices at the cost of security. The lack of security makes these devices an easy target for malware and cyber attacks. Jailbreaking poses a risk for the data on mobile devices. Thus to ensure the security of data, we do not support running any of our products on jailbroken/rooted devices.
Other things to consider when purchasing tablets:
- Wifi or Cellular? To run iConnect you will require a stable and fast broadband internet connection. The amount of time it takes to upload photos and videos is dependent on your upload speed. You can check your current internet speed here: http://www.speedtest.net/ Monthly data bills can add up quick with cellular connectivity so if you have a strong internet connection you may want to stick with a Wi-Fi-only tablet to help keep costs down.
- Display Resolution – 1024 x 600 (WSVGA) or greater
- 7″ Display – or greater. Larger screens work well with detachable keyboards as they can turn your tablet into a mini-laptop. A keyboard or stylus can turn your tablet into a productivity device, and they’re available for all kinds of tablets.
- A rear-facing camera for taking photos of the children playing
- Good battery life. A good tablet should get at least 10 hours of battery life.
- Storage – Don’t skimp on storage – Between apps, and photos, the storage on your tablet will fill up fast. Get as much storage as you can afford.
To share this information with a colleague, download our Hardware Guidance document here.
There are Leasing Options available
Where budget constraints prevent new tablets from being purchased, there are subscription options available. We have partnered with JTRS, an Apple Authorised Education Specialist. They can provide nurseries with a brand new iPad on the latest operating system from £7.10 per month. Find out more here.