Meat-Free Monday – Veggie Burger with Halloumi
Hello, Imogen here!
It’s the start of another productive week here at Connect, and I’ve put together a winning meat-free meal that’s sure to please everyone in the family.
I don’t know about you, but I’m on a diet this January, and although I may have cheated by going for food and bowling over the weekend, I’m back this week intent on maintaining some good eating habits, and shedding those excess pounds from Christmas!
The reason I love meals such as this veggie burger is that it still feels comforting and warming while reducing the calories I consume. Plant based burgers can be a great way to ease children into vegetarian dishes, and the Plant Pioneers ones are a winner in my book.
So without further ado, here’s my simple meat-free monday recipe for this week.
Veggie Burger with Halloumi and Sweet Potato Fries
1 Serving 30 Minutes Prep Time
1 Veggie Burger (I’m using Plant Pioneers)
1 Brioche bun (gf available)
2 slices halloumi cheese
1 slice beef tomato
Juice of ½ lime
1 splash hot sauce (for the adults only)
1 tbsp barbecue sauce
1 handful spinach or lettuce
1 tbsp tzatziki
100g sweet potato fries
- Place your sweet potato fries on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 220C for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat up a frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil or olive oil. Once hot, add your vegetable burger and fry for 4 minutes on each side.
- Add your halloumi slices into the same frying pan halfway through cooking, fry for a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Mash your avocado and add lime juice. You can season with salt to taste if you like.
- Slice your burger bun in half and toast it on a pan with some butter.
- To assemble your burger: add barbecue sauce to the bottom bun, followed by your burger patty, followed by halloumi. If you like spice, you can add a splash of hot sauce at this stage. Then add your avocado, tomato slice, and greens of your choice. Dollop tzatziki on the top bun before adding to the burger.
- Serve with sweet potato fries and optionally a small side salad.