Meat-Free Monday: Veggie Sausage Casserole
Storm Eunice certainly made a mark over the weekend, and with a cooler shift in weather, this week I’ve decided to share with you a warming meat-free meal that will provide comfort as well as nutrition.
This veggie sausage casserole is easy to make and with just a few ingredients you’ll have a wonderful dish that everyone in the family will love.
This is a meal that can be prepped and chilled in the fridge a few days in advance, and it will quickly become a staple for your midweek meals*. You’ll be able to see a video version of this recipe on our Instagram and Tik Tok feeds too, so make sure to follow us for regular recipes, crafts, and activities.
*Although we are a childcare company, we’re sharing these recipes with our adult audience. If you are cooking for children in your care, watch out for the foods to avoid giving babies and young children. Find out more on the NHS website and adapt your recipes accordingly.
Veggie Sausage Casserole
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 8 veggie sausages
- 1 bell pepper
- ½ white onion
- 1 sachet Coleman’s sausage casserole spice mix
- 300ml cold water
- 1 tin baked beans
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- Pan fry or grill your sausages until browned. Cut up into small bite sized pieces and set aside.
- Chop your onion and bell pepper finely, and add to a pan with oil. Sweat for 5-8 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add sausages, peppers and onions, water, spice mix, and baked beans into a casserole dish. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 200C.
- Meanwhile, poke holes in your potatoes and microwave for 10 minutes, scoop out the insides and mash, add butter and seasoning.
- Serve together and portion up for freezing too.